Updated May 2018:
From time to time we may add new sites, domain names or services to the Green Buildings Online Network. Please note that this Policy applies only to sites owned and services maintained by Green Buildings Online or its corporate subsidiaries and not to web sites or services provided by other companies or organizations to which we link.
Your Privacy Rights. Under the laws of some jurisdictions, you may be entitled to request disclosure regarding how Green Buildings Online shares personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes (“Information-Sharing Disclosure”).
To the extent required by applicable law, Green Buildings Online shall provide the Information-Sharing Disclosure to its end users upon rightful request made in writing or by electronic mail to the following address: Green Buildings Online Inc. 4 Abbott Avenue, Ridgefield Connecticut 06877
Types of Information Collected. In order to better serve your online content needs and provide you with attentive and consistent customer service, Green Buildings Online may collect several types of information, including both personal and non-personal information as described below. The information Green Buildings Online collects depends on how you choose to use the Green Buildings Online Network.
1. “Non- Personally Identifiable Information” Collected. The Green Buildings Online Network automatically tracks and collects certain information about your visit that does not generally identify you individually. Similar to other commercial web sites, the Green Buildings Online Network uses standard web measurement and tracking technologies like “cookies,” (see explanation below, “Cookies”), web server logs, or other statistics programs, which keep records of traffic on the Green Buildings Online Network. This data is generally anonymous information that does not personally identify you, e.g., “clickstream data,” such as: i. the domain name of the site providing you with Internet access, ii. the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your browser type and version, iii. type of operating system and platform you use, iv. the average user session length, v. the number of hits and pages viewed, vi. top search engines and keywords, and vii. access times and other relevant statistics.
Green Buildings Online and/or its web service provider use this Non- Personally Identifiable Information in the aggregate to measure the use of the Green Buildings Online Network and to administer the Green Buildings Online Network. We also use this information to improve your online experience.
Cookies. “Cookies” are small pieces of information that a web site transfers to a visitor’s hard drive. Your World Wide Web browser may have an option that allows you to accept cookies, reject cookies, or receive notification when a cookie is sent, but you should note that the use of restrictive browser settings may limit the functionality available to your browser when using the Green Buildings Online Network. Any cookies and other Internet traffic tracking technologies utilized in connection with the Green Buildings Online Network are not designed to gather any Personally Identifiable Information. From time to time, Green Buildings Online may use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website.
2. “Personally Identifiable Information” Collected. (a) Personally Identifiable Information about you is not collected unless you specifically provide it to Green Buildings Online. For example, when you submit your email address for communication purposes or offer your contact information with the intention of being a content provider, you will be asked to provide certain Personally Identifiable Information.
The Personally Identifiable Information we collect about you through such sources will vary, depending on the nature of the transaction and the information required to fulfill your request for our services, but may include, without limitation, first and last name, home and email addresses, home and business telephone numbers, facsimile number, and/or other identifying information that permits Green Buildings Online to contact you. (b) In general, Green Buildings Online collects Personally Identifiable Information from users of the Green Buildings Online Network in connection with access to certain online areas or services, including during (i) registration for certain online community services and tools such as content submission, payment information, question and answer services, forums, message boards, chat rooms or other community services (“Member” or “Membership”); (ii) registration for special communications, such as email updates and newsletters; (iii) user surveys; and (v) events, sweepstakes, contests or promotions.
Your Personally Identifiable Information is stored on Green Buildings Online computer servers (or those of its service providers) located in the United States. (c) We may gather data about the areas of the Green Buildings Online Network you visit or access.
We do not intentionally use any of this navigational data about where you “as an individual user” go on the Green Buildings Online Network or share any of this data with third parties. However, we do use and share navigational data in an aggregate, non-personal form to understand how our users as a group use the Green Buildings Online Network.
3. Use of Information Collected. (a) Green Buildings Online uses Personally Identifiable Information to customize and personalize content displayed on the Green Buildings Online Network and to send to its visitors newsletters, emails, features, and other material, or otherwise for the purposes for which it is submitted, including to complete purchases, transactions and fulfill services you have requested, as well as for reference in the event that we need to contact you when processing your requested transaction.
Further, your Personally Identifiable Information, including any email submissions and their content, may be used in connection with customer-relations correspondence and may be retained for use in evaluating and improving our customer-relations and assistance programs.
We may share Personally Identifiable Information you submit with our affiliates, as well as with unaffiliated third parties who perform services for Green Buildings Online or who otherwise are involved in the fulfillment of your service request (e.g., lead generation services, delivery of requested products and services or related products and services, information systems maintenance and development providers, data archiving, end user communication and similar services).
(b) Green Buildings Online also may use this information to identify and develop products and services that may be of interest to you and/or share this information with certain third parties for direct marketing purposes with respect to special offers, products, services, programs, promotions, surveys, publications, invitations or other opportunities that may be of interest to you (for more information regarding such practices, see Section 1, “Your Privacy Rights,” above).
(e) You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose Personally Identifiable Information (e.g., user name, email address) on a bulletin board, chat room, profile page or on any other community forum or service offered on the Green Buildings Online Network, such information may be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other parties. Green Buildings Online has no control over this use of your Personally Identifiable Information. We advise users to be especially careful in such public areas about disclosing Personally Identifiable Information, such as full name, home address, or phone number.
4. Below are more details about the Personally Identifiable Information we, or third parties, may gather from you and how we may use it.
(b) Service Providers. We offer our Members links to other services provided by third parties such as social media, commenting (such as via Disqus, Wufoo, Mailchimp, ShareThis, Google), RSS and widget feeds, among others. When you register for membership on the Green Buildings Online Network or activate a related service by clicking on a particular service link (i.e. RSS feed) on the Green Buildings Online Network, you may be automatically registered to receive the services we offer and some of your Personally Identifiable Information may be transferred from Green Buildings Online to those third-party service providers. By becoming a Member, you authorize us and our third-party service providers to send you email updates and information about promotions and special offers. We take care to require that our third-party service providers only use our Member’s data as necessary to provide the particular service and to give you updates on that service provider’s products and services.
(c) Co-registration with Other Networks. As a Member, we may offer you the ability to co-register with select third-party partner sites. In some instances where Green Buildings Online provides co-registration, the co-registration partners allow you to opt-out of their membership. If you choose to co-register with our partners and accept their terms of service, then you are automatically registered as a Member of their select web sites and your Personally Identifiable Information is transferred to those organizations. As a result, you may receive information from one of these web sites as any of their Members would.
We advise you to review the privacy and data collection policies of the third-party partner sites for further information. In order to cancel your membership with any of these partners you will need to go directly to the partner’s site.
(d) Advertisers. Green Buildings Online may send you emails on behalf of our advertisers. If you opt to receive information from our advertisers they may use your Personally Identifiable Information to send you advertisements or other notices, via email or postal mail, and it is possible that your information may be shared with others.
(f) Surveys and User Research. Green Buildings Online conducts email and web-delivered surveys from time to time, as well as instant polls, to gather information about our users. Taking these surveys and polls is entirely optional. You have no obligation to respond to them. We share only the aggregate results of these surveys, not Personally Identifiable Information, with our advertisers and partners to help them better understand our services and monitor the reach of their advertising or other offerings on our service. We also use some of the Personally Identifiable Information that you provide in these surveys to help us understand your interests and to make the Green Buildings Online Networks more useful to you.
(g) Purchase of Products or Services. When you purchase products or services from or through the Green Buildings Online Network we may require Personally Identifiable Information such as name, address, telephone number and billing information, including credit card, debit card or bank account data. Green Buildings Online will not disclose your Personally Identifiable Information, including billing information, except to the extent necessary to complete your transaction, for example during an online purchase or where needed to deliver a product or service you ordered. We may, however, contact you subsequently for the purposes of customer service and/or to maintain or improve our relationship with you as a customer.
(h) Payment Information. If you purchase something from us you will be required to submit certain Personally Identifiable Information as it relates to payment. Such information may include name, address, email address and credit card number which may be required by a third party payment gateway, such as Stripe or PayPal, in order for us to process payment for the order you have submitted. Green Buildings Online shall not disclose, sell, lease, rent or otherwise share your Personally Identifiable Information, including account information, except to the extent necessary to ensure that there is no fraud related to your account or to verify your identity. GBO works with third party payment processors, such as PayPal and/or Stripe, to process orders and your Personally Identifiable Information may be shared with such organizations as necessary to complete your requested purchase and/or transactions.
5. Reviewing/Changing Personally Identifiable Information. You can request access to your Personally Identifiable Information in order to review and edit any such information you have provided to the Green Buildings Online Network at any time by making such request in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Opting Out. You may opt out of receiving communications about special offers or programs from Green Buildings Online or other information for which you subscribed by clicking “unsubscribe” on a link provided at the bottom of the email communication, and/or by emailing or calling our contact information above.
7. Security of Personally Identifiable Information. (a) Green Buildings Online takes reasonable precautions and has implemented reasonable technical measures intended to protect against the risks of unauthorized access to, erroneous disclosure of, and unlawful interception of Personally Identifiable Information submitted to the Green Buildings Online Network. (b) Once your information is received by Green Buildings Online, we use commercially reasonable efforts to limit access to Personally Identifiable Information about you to those employees and service providers whom we determine need access to that information to provide the requested products or services and/or other offers or opportunities that may be of interest to you.
However, please be aware that your email transmissions and/or other communications to Green Buildings Online containing Personally Identifiable Information may be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties and/or the Green Buildings Online Network may be subject to hostile network attacks or administrative errors. Accordingly, Green Buildings Online cannot and does not guarantee that your Personally Identifiable Information is completely secure and safe from such risks.
8. Third-Party Sites. The Green Buildings Online Network may contain links to other web sites. Green Buildings Online is not responsible for the collection, use or disclosure of information collected through third-party web sites and expressly disclaims any liability related to such collection, use or disclosure. Green Buildings Online is not responsible for the practices employed by web sites linked to or from the Green Buildings Online Network nor the information or content contained therein. Links to other web sites are provided solely as a convenience. Your browsing, use and interaction on any other web sites, including web sites which have a link to the Green Buildings Online Network, are subject to that web site’s own rules and policies and Green Buildings Online recommends that you review the information collection practices of such sites before using them or providing them with information.
9. Children’s Use of The Green Buildings Online Network. The Green Buildings Online Network is not designed for or directed to children under the age of 13 and Green Buildings Online does not knowingly collect Personally Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. We recommend that children under the age of 13 be supervised by an adult while using the Internet and request that children under the age of 13 not provide any Personally Identifiable Information to the Green Buildings Online Network.